Top 5 Side Trails in North Carolina

1-Grassy Ridge. I’m not even sure why this isn’t part of the AT.
The views are stunning and being the only 360’ view over 6000’
does make a difference.

2-Ravens Rocks.
I completely missed this on my thru-hike. The
trail is a few yards south of the trail to the Muskrat Creek Shelter on
the opposite side of the AT. It’s more of a good view than a great one
in a place where positive reinforcement really helps.

3-Bluff Mt.
About a mile south of the summit there is a grassy
meadow that runs parallel to the trail. If you take the side trail across
it and follow the ATV track up the other side there is a very nice
subsidiary bald with a good view back to Max Patch.

4-Camp Creek Bald.
I know the towers are ugly and I’m glad the
AT doesn’t go there but it’s still one of my favorite lunch spots.

5-Mt Cammerer.
The view across to Mt Sterling and into Walnut
Bottoms is amazing. The Tennessee side is flat as a board and best
saved for high visibility conditions.