Tennessee Top 5s

Top 5 Things About Tennessee



1-Laurel Fork Gorge. I hadn’t really given it much thought until I
got there so I’m not sure what I expected. Suffice it to say that
it’s every bit as unique and interesting as advertised. What
starts as a river walk quickly morphs into a climbing challenge
as you make your way along a narrow shelf next to the river.

2-Erwin. I’m totally stretching my definitions here by including
Erwin while everything else is limited to the ‘Tennessee Only’
section of the trail. I can’t help it. I love Erwin and Erwin
is in Tennessee. Special mention must be made of Miss Janet
who gives her heart and soul to the thru-hiking community
every year in running the hostel that bears her name.

3-Vandeventer Shelter.
It's a long steady climb up from the
reservoir and the water source is a huge pain but it’s got a
great view of the Watauga Reservoir and can be especially
beautiful at night looking down on the scattered lights in
the hills below.

4-Elk River Relo.
This was a different route than it was when I
made my thru-hike and what an improvement. Two exceptional
campsites, some great outlooks along a high dirt road and a
very nice river walk.

5-Damascus Dash.
Whether you measure it from Route 321 in
Hampton or the Vandeventer Shelter, this is your big chance to
put the hammer down and try for some serious mileage on the
way to Damascus. Once along the ridge of Iron Mt there are
only minor changes in elevation for the next 30 or so miles.




Top 5 Most Annoying Things About Tennessee

1-Tennessee Rollercoaster. Between Laurel Fork and White
Rocks Mt the ups and downs are unrelenting. No views.
No sidehills. No mercy.

2-Concrete Shelters.
The maintaining clubs didn’t have
much choice in the matter since the wooden shelters had the
unfortunate habit of burning down. Still it’s a shame that
such hard feelings led to soviet style shelters lacking any
kind of warmth.

3-Pond Flats. Who was the genius who routed the trail over this thing? For ten minutes of exciting ascent
out of Laurel Fork Gorge we have to endure this brutal climb to
a viewless flat and an uninspired campsite. I don’t get it.

4-Iron Mt Ascent. If the hellish industrial Watauga Lake Dam
wasn’t enough for you, there’s the interminable climb up Iron Mt.
to complete your quota for self-punishment.

5-Watauga Reservoir Access. I admit it. I’m spoiled. I see a
nice lake with a nice beach and I want to go for a swim.
Sadly, there is little access to the lake past where local
folks like to use it making it uncomfortable and intrusive
to take a dip. Sigh.