Top 5 "I'm So Conflicted" Towers in North Carolina

On the one hand, there’s no view without the tower.
On the other hand, it’s constricting and doesn’t have the
same feel as a natural summit view. I’m SO conflicted!


1-Wayah Bald. The stone tower is beautiful in and of itself and the
view is a knockout even though it’s basically a repeat of Silers Bald.

2-Albert Mt.
The mountain itself is so unique you come to expect
the unexpected. A long graceful ridge atop a death-defying dropoff.
Pretty hard to complain.

3-Wesser Bald.
In this case I liked the natural feel of the open
wooden platform more than I liked the view. You’re still too far
away to get a well defined look at the Smokies.

4-Clingmans Dome.
This one just didn’t do it for me and I went
back twice to make sure I wasn’t just having a bad day. There really
ought to be something to look at but all I could focus on was the tower
itself and the thick canopy of trees around it.

5-Rich Mt.
Neither a nice tower nor an impressive view. Perhaps it
suffers in comparison to the other highlights in this section. In any case,
the picnic table and the water source were more relevant than the tower.